M.S. & PhD in Electrical Engineering, SUNY
Stony Brook, NY (1978, 79)
B.Tech (Hons) in Electronics & Electrical
Communications, IIT Kharagpur, India (1976)
2001-__ - Professor II, ECE Dept & Director,
WINLAB, Rutgers University
2008-09 - Visiting Professor, EE Dept/Clean Slate Program, Stanford University
2000-01 - Chief Scientist, Iospan Wireless, San
1993-99 - Asst. GM & Dept Head
(Systems Architecture), NEC USA C&C Research
1990-92 - Head, Broadband Communications
Research, Sarnoff Corp, Princeton, NJ
1988-90 - Senior Member of Technical Staff,
Sarnoff Corp, Princeton, NJ
1979-87 - Member of Technical Staff, RCA
Laboratories, Princeton, NJ
Future network architectures and protocols, wireless systems and technology, dynamic spectrum access and cognitive radio, experimental prototyping and network research testbeds.
2006-__ - NSF FIND (Future Internet Design) projects on Cache-and-Forward (CNF) mobile content delivery and CogNet cognitive radio protocol stack
2005-__ - NSF GENI
(Global Environment for Network Innovation) Project – Planning Group Member (2005-07), Wireless Virtualization (2006-07) and Open WiMAX (2008-)
2005-06 - WMPG (Wireless Mobile Planning Group) on Future Network Architecture
2003-__ - ORBIT: Open-Access Research Testbed for Next-Generation
Wireless Networks, NSF NRT …
featured in “ten emerging technologies”, MIT Technology Review http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?ch=specialsections&sc=emergingtech&id=16476
2004-09 - Network Centric Cognitive Radio Platform, NSF NeTS
2002-06 - MUSE: Multimodal Sensor-on-Silicon
Center-of-Excellence project, NJCST
2002-05 - Dynamic Spectrum Management Policy and Technology, NSF
2001-06 - Hierarchical Self-Organizing Ad-Hoc
Wireless Network for sensors and "4G"
2000-01 - AirBurst: MIMO/OFDM system for
broadband fixed wireless access
1995-99 - WATMnet: 5 Ghz/25 Mbps mobile
broadband wireless local area network
1994-98 - QoS-aware software framework for ATM
1993-95 - Multimedia network processor, MCCP
1991-92 - Networking of high resolution video (HRV)
1991-92 - DirecTV/MPEG++ system design
1989-92 - AD-HDTV system design & FCC prototype
1987-88 - Packet-based digital video
distribution system for CATV
1984-87 - VSAT data network design & prototype
1978-85 - Satellite MAC protocols, SREJ-ALOHA,
ARRA, packet CDMA, etc. 1978-85)
Past Editor, IEEE Trans. on Networking, IEEE
Trans on Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine,
IEEE Multimedia and ACM M2CR
Past Chair, Data Comm Systems Committee, IEEE
Member, FCC ACATS (HDTV) System Analysis Task Force (1991-92)
Vice-Chairman, Wireless ATM Working Group, ATM Forum (1996-99)
Member, Broadband Last Mile Committee, National Academies of Science & Engineering (1999-2002)
Advisor for Future Mobile Network project - National Institute for Communications Technology (NICT), Japan (2002-06)
Board of Directors, Semandex Networks Inc.,
a Princeton, NJ based startup company (2001-08)
Member of Scientific Council, Thomson Inc. (2004-__)
Technical Advisory Board, NJ Economic Development Authority Edison Fund (2005-__)
Technical Advisory Board, NTT DoCoMo Laboratories, USA (2007-__)
Advisor for Telecommunications Center-of-Excellence (TCOE) program, Govt. of India (2004-__)
Member of NSF GENI (Global Environment for Network Innovation) Planning Group (2005-07)
Chair, GENI Wireless Working Group (2006-07)
Chair, Computing Coordination Council (CCC), Rutgers University (2007-__)
Senior Advisory Board Member, 4WARD FP7 Project, European Commission, (2008-__)
Adivsor, EC SmartSantander Project (2010-__) and EC Fed4Fire Project (2013-__)
Member, NSF CISE Mid-Scale Infrastructure Committee (2013-__)
~200 journal and conference papers,
~4 book chapters, and an edited book on emerging technologies for future mobile Internet
~17 U.S. patents on various topics including
broadband wireless networks, MAC protocols, digital video, VSAT
Representative recent papers/talks:
- D. Raychaudhuri and N. Mandayam, “Frontiers of Wireless and Mobile Communications”, IEEE Proceedings, April 2012, pp. 824-840.
- T. Vu, A. Baid, Y. Zhang, T. Nguyen, J. Fukuyama, R. Martin & D. Raychaudhuri, “DMap: A Shared Hosting Scheme for Dynamic Identifier to Locator Mappings in the Global Internet”, Proc. International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, 2012.
- D. Raychaudhuri & M. Gerla (ed), “Emerging Wireless Technologies and the Future Mobile Internet”, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- D. Raychaudhuri, “MobilityFirst: A Robust and Trustworthy Mobility Centric Architecture for the Future Internet”, Keynote Speech at IEEE PIMRC, Toronto, Sept 2011.
- D. Raychaudhuri, X. Jing, I. Seskar, K. Le, J. Evans, “Cognitive Radio Technology: From Distributed Spectrum Coordination to Adaptive Network Collaboration”, to appear in Journal of Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 2008.
- S. Paul, D. Raychaudhuri, R. Yates and J. Kurose, “The Cache-and-Forward Architecture for Efficient Mobile Content Delivery Services in the Future Internet”, in Proc. ITU Next Generation Networks (NGN), Geneva, May 2008.
- Suli Zhao and D. Raychaudhuri, “Scalability and Performance Evaluation of Hierarchical Hybrid Wireless Networks”, IEEE Trans. on Networking, Oct 2009.
- Z. Wu, S. Ganu and D. Raychaudhuri, "IRMA: Integrated routing and MAC scheduling in multihop wireless mesh networks", in Proc. 2nd IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh Networks, (WiMesh) 2006, Reston VA, Sept 2006.
- D. Raychaudhuri, I. Seskar, M. Ott, S. Ganu, K. Ramachandran, H. Kremo, R. Siracusa, H. Liu and M. Singh, "Overview of the ORBIT Radio Grid Testbed for Evaluation of Next-Generation Wireless Network Protocols," Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC'05), March 2005.
- D. Raychaudhuri, “Adaptive Wireless Networks Using Cognitive Radios as a Building Block,” ACM MobiCom Keynote Speech, Philadelphia, PA, September 2004.
Most frequently cited papers:
- D. Raychaudhuri, et al, "WATMnet: A Prototype Wireless ATM System for Multimedia Personal Communication", IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, January 1997, pp. 83-95.
- D. Raychaudhuri and N. Wilson, “ATM Based Transport Architecture for Multiservices Wireless Personal Communication Network”, IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, October 1994, pp. 1401-1414. [ISI “Hihgly Cited Paper” with over 2200 citations]
- K. Joseph, S. Ng, D. Raychaudhuri, R. Saint Girons, T. Savatier, R. Siracusa and J. Zdepski, “MPEG++: A Robust Compression and Transport System for Digital HDTV”, Image Communications, (1992), pp. 307-323.
- D. Raychaudhuri, "Design of Ku-band Satellite Data Networks Using Very Small Aperture Terminals - Part I: Multiaccess Protocols," International Journal of Satellite Communications, July-Sept, 1987, pp.195-212.
- D. Raychaudhuri, "Stability, Throughput and Delay of Asynchronous SREJ ALOHA," IEEE Trans. on Communications, July 1987, pp. 767-772.
- D. Raychaudhuri, "Announced Retransmission Random Access Protocols," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Nov. 1985, pp. 1183-1190.
- D. Raychaudhuri, "Performance Analysis of Random-Access Packet-Switched Code Division Multiple Access Systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, June 1981, pp. 895–901.
Distinguished Alumni Award, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (2012)
Schwarzkopf Prize for Technological Innovation (2008)
Fellow of IEEE (1995)
ISI “highly cited author” for 2nd most cited paper in the field of communications during 1985-2005 (2006)
Sarnoff Team Award for Development of the AD-HDTV System (1990)
RCA Outstanding Technical Achievement Awards (1982, 83 and 85)
Technology Centre of New Jersey
671 Route 1 South
North Brunswick, NJ 08902-3390
732-932-6857 X 638 (Voice)
Recent Publications and Conference Presentations
WMPG Workshop Report on the Future Internet